- Flora and fauna census;
- Monitoring of populations of birds, mammals and plants of the nature reserve and surrounding areas;
- Research and monitoring of rare and endangered plant and animal species on Kunashir Island and the Lesser Kuril Ridge;
- We pay special attention to research of the globally endangered species: Bubo blakistoni, Grus japonensis, Phoca vitulina stejnegeri, Eumetopias jubatus, Enhydra lutris, Mustela lutreola;
- Monitoring of both rare and common species, i.e.:
Ursus arctos, Martes zibellina, Lepus timidus, Vulpes vulpes; Birds:
Haliaeetus albicilla, Haliaeetus pelagicus, Branta bernicla, Megaceryle lugubris, Charadrius alexandrinus; Reptiles:
Plestiodon latiscutatus, Euprepiophis conspicillata, Elaphe climacophora and Elaphe quadrivirgata; Populations of rare plants in protective zone:
Magnolia obovata, Betula maximowicziana, Tilia maximowicziana, Chloranthus serratus, Osmunda lance, Gastrodia elata, Iris ensata;
- Phenological observations in fixed research areas;
- Research on seasonal birds migrations;
- Analysis of fauna, making lists of species of all taxonomic categories, research on population and distribution of species;
- The Kurils are the key area for migratory birds. The islands are the major stop on the East Asian-Australasian Flyway. We pay special attention to the research of different waders, Branta bernicla, and other waterbirds.
- Making and maintaining GIS of the nature reserve and surrounding areas. Research on geosystems of the nature reserve using space images of different spectrum.
- Monitoring of meteorological data, earthquakes and sea ice.